Tuesday, October 3, 2017

6 Monday Musings of a Mantic #18: 2000pts Iron Warriors Army List


Cold darkness sets in,
Black Iron weeps from the wound;
Bitterness pursued

The brothers of the Iron Warriors are without peers for the cold darkness of the warp itself resides in their souls.  Their lack of empathy and compassion allows them to commit atrocities unlike anything you have ever seen before.  They care little for the blood that they have spilled and even less for the lives they have taken. They have embraced the bitterness within and have turned it against the galaxy with an unquenchable thirst for destruction and death.  The list below is my take on what I envision a battle forged army of Iron Warriors to be.  Countless cultist being thrown at the enemy to wither them down while they themselves rain death down upon them.  Let us have a look at my 2000 points Iron Warriors army.


Iron Warriors Battalion Detachment
081 = Warlord: Warlord Trait Cold & Bitter, Mark of Slaanesh, Power Axe & Combi-Bolter
076 = Warpsmith: Mark of Nurgle
076 = Warpsmith: Mark of Nurgle
186 = Cultist x 40: Mark of Slaanesh, Flamers x2 & Hvy Stubber x2
044 = Cultist x10: Mark of Slaanesh & Hvy Stubber
044 = Cultist x10: Mark of Slaanesh & Hvy Stubber

Iron Warriors Vanguard Detachment
154 = Sorcerer in Terminator Armour: Mark of Slaanesh, Warptime/Prescience/Smite
510 = Terminators: Mark of Slaanesh, Combi-Plasma & Pwr Axe
112 = Helbrute: Mark of Nurgle, Missile Launcher & Reaper Autocannon
112 = Helbrute: Mark of Nurgle, Missile Launcher & Reaper Autocannon
112 = Helbrute: Mark of Nurgle, Missile Launcher & Reaper Autocannon

Iron Warriors Outrider Detachment
180 = Daemon Prince: Wings, Mark of Nurgle, Malefic Talons x2 & Diabolic Strength/Smite. Fleshmetal Exoskeleton
104 = Bikers x3: Mark of Nurgle, Flamers x2 & Champ with Combi-flamer
104 = Bikers x3: Mark of Nurgle, Flamers x2 & Champ with Combi-flamer
104 = Bikers x3: Mark of Nurgle, Flamers x2 & Champ with Combi-flamer


1999pts
Pwer Level = 114
Command Points = 8


When compiling this list I made a concise effort to include multiple detachments as i wanted to be able to use a series of stratagems to take my Iron Warriors to the next level.  This meant that I needed to field Cultist as my troop choice as their cost are at a rock bottom price.  This put a dark twisted smile on my face as I have been dying to heed the call of the "Tide of Traitors".  This stratagems gives another average unit immense value.  Being able to bring back a maxed out squad of 40 traitors for a mere 2 command points is disgusting.  When you are talking about fielding Cultist though you need a plan on how you are going to handle their morale issues.  You have three options, a Dark Apostle Baby sitter, Abaddon the Despoiler or the Iron Warriors Warlord trait "Cold & Bitter".  I went for the Iron Warriors option as it gives your Warlord a 6" aura that allows all Iron Warrior units inside of it to ignore morale tests.  The blob of Cultist and the 2 minimum sized squads of them are here to provide a bubble wrap around the Chaos Lord, 2x Warpsmiths and the 3x Dakka Helbrutes.  This entire contingent of Iron Warriors will also secure back field objectives.  The Lord buffs the Helbrutes ability to hit targets while the Warpsmiths help keep them running.

From there, I then moved to a maxed out Terminator Unit to provide the army with a devastating threat.  This squad can pump out an insane amount of shots by stringing together a series of psychic powers and stratagems.  The Terminator Sorcerer deepstrikes in with the Terminators and hits them with "Prescience".  This gives them a +1 to hit which prevents their Comb-Plasmas from overcharging.  From their I pop the stratagem "Endless Cacophony" so they can shoot twice.  This results in them firing 40 strength 8, Ap -3, Dmg 2 shots.  It doesn't end here though as I also pop the stratagem "Veterans of the Long War" to give them a +1 to wound.  This allows them to target any and I mean any unit on the battlefield and make them disappear.  In all likely hood I also hit the Terminators with "Warptime" to ensure they can continue their reign of destruction.

In order to keep the enemy off their toes I threw 3 minimum squads of Bikers with Flamers/Combi-flamers.  Their job is to help trim the fat off of hordes while providing a scene for the Daemon Prince.  The Daemon Prince is sporting a "Fleshmetal Exoskeleton" Iron Warriors Relic.  This turns the Daemon Prince into once hell of a monster as he now has a 2+ sv and can regenerate 1 wound each turn.  I gave him Diabolic Strength as this will allow him to wound the majority of infantry on a 2+ and most vehicles on a 3+ while giving him an addition attack.

In the end I feel that this Iron Warriors list is competitive that packs a strong punch while remaining tough in the backfield.  I've wasted enough of your time so lets cut this post short.  As always feel free to leave your comments and criticisms.

6 comments:

  1. Hiya, will you talk about the FW units sometime soon? I remember you saying you would :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was originally planning a review of Decimators hellwright and Malefic Lords. My review of the CSM Codex and my blog posts in general have gotten very few if any comments. As such I'm in no rush ad it appears that this blog is more for me than those reading it. I challenge each of you to throw out a comment from time to time so that blog authors like myself know that folks are reading their words for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point! Also what are your viewing stats like? I do wonder how the blogging market for 40K works - there are a lot of blogs, and some beasts have a lot of views. But most don't, I guess. I imagine to raise interaction, crossposting on Bolter and Chainsword, Dakkadakka, etc., may help. But it is hard work!

      Delete
  3. I don't look at my stats as I recently resurrected my blog after a 4 year absence. It's wired into other sights but I have no idea out of those numbers how many people are actually reading the blog. I appreciate your feedback and fear not I will talk about Decimators, Hellwright and Malefic Lords at some point. If you have any request for units you would like me to review please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will throw up the Decimator before this week ends and the Hellwright next week.

      Delete