Friday, June 23, 2017

0 Flashback Friday #18: Da Oompa Loompas an Ork Blood Bowl Team


Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when you guzzle down sweets
Eating as much as an elephant eats
What are you at, getting terribly fat
What do you think will come of that
I don't like the look of it

Oompa loompa doompety da
If you're not greedy, you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do
Doompety do

The puzzle that many of you are wondering, if there is even any of you left reading the madness that is this blog, is where the frack did HOTpanda disappear to these past four years.  I myself am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I left 40k for 4 YEARS!!!  What exactly was I doing with all my free time now that I wasn't consumed by the warp?  Sadly I did not kick the addiction to plastic crack as I switched gears over to Blood Bowl for two of those four years.  During which time I ran a 20 man league and even a couple of tournaments.  What a glorious two years those were.  I was in prime and I was on the road to becoming a legend in the local gaming community.  Unfortunately, my world came crashing down all around me before I could attain that lofty title thanks to real life forcing me to move to another province.  Like many of musics great icons, I too died well before my time, albeit I did not OD or commit suicide, rather I simply just vanished and no one seemed to care. 

Man those two years were a blast though as I throughly love playing blood bowl.  What is even better though was painting up my Orc team, "Da Oompa Loompas".  Adhering to my five principles of "Building an Army HOTpanda Way" (Theme, Play Style, List Building, Colour Scheme and Building the Army) I was able to create not only a highly functional team but a dam gorgeous one that even George himself would be jealous of.


"Da Oompa Loompas" may not have orange skin like their iconic name would imply but rather draw their nugget filled inspiration from a love for candy. Each member of the team is named after a candy bar.  That's right a freaking bar of sugar often covered in chocolate.  With a solid theme in place I chose to diverge from it slightly when it came to the paint scheme as I had been dying to paint yellow for quite some time.  It's a colour that I never truly mastered and one that taunted me whenever a model beckoned me to paint a yellow streak down its back.  Now I didn't settle for a plain jane paint scheme but rather a weathered and rusted one.  The second part of the paint scheme was the basing which I chose to challenge myself once again by giving it the old college go at a filthy mud base.  As for the other principle, "Play Style", "List Building" and "Building the Army", lets all pretend that I glossed over it so we can see what exactly I have been talking about with a few pictures of the team.

Da Coach - Mr. Big
Apothecary - Dr. Pepper & Grot Assistant - Mentos

Troll - Big Turk
Thrower - Butterfinger
Lineman - Bounty & Kitkat
Blitzers - Skor & Snickers
Blitzers - Wunderbar & Rolo
Black Orks - Mars & Eatmore
Black Orks - Oh Henry & Crunchie
Grots - Skittles & Cherry Bomb
Rerolls - Squigs

No comments:

Post a Comment