Wednesday, November 21, 2012

4 Monday Musings of a Mantic #2: 1750 Space Wolves with IG Allies

Discontent rages through my veins at both the Chaos Space Marine Bible and at a local promoter's , rules for an upcoming tournament of champions.  Frustrated at his decision to only allow battle brothers, I felt that my renditions of the ruinous powers were flat footed.  I could not get myself to stand behind any of the list I created let out pour my heart and soul into raising an army for the Dark Gods.  Beaten and bruise I sulked into the darkness of the warp where my wraith festered from within.  Turning my stomach into knots while contorting my thoughts.  As the blade cut deep into my skin my blood began to pour out onto the altar. Curdling instantly as the arcane words spilled forth from my tongue acting as the catalyst to ignite the air around me.  Blood began to drip from my eyes and ears as I bowed down before him as the Blood God himself answered my prays.

The following list is dedicated to the loving memory of the Blood God himself, Khorne.  While it may not place emphasis on the notion of a favourite number it does put bloodshed first and foremost.  Have a looks first then cry fowl after you have analysis the blood stains from which this list was documented in.

SPACE WOLVES - Main Detachment
215 - Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Thunder Wolf, Runic Armour, Storm Shield,  Thunderhammer & Fenrisian Wolves x 2
210 - Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Thunder Wolf, Runic Armour, Storm Shield, Frost Blade & Fenrisian Wolves x 2
085 - Lone Wolf:  Terminator Armour, Storm Shield & Chainfist
175 - Grey Hunters x 10: Plasma x 2 & Power Axe
175 - Grey Hunters x 10: Plasma x 2 & Power Axe
180 - Grey Hunters x 10: Melta x 2 & Powerfist
180 - Grey Hunters x 10: Melta x 2 & Powerfist
120 - Fenrisian Wolves x 15

IMPERIAL GUARD - Allied Detachment
060 - Company Command Squad: Autocannon x 1 
040 - Platoon Command Squad: Autocannon x 1
060 - Infantry Squad: Autocannon x 1
060 - Infantry Squad: Autocannon x 1
060 - Infantry Squad: Autocannon x 1
130 - Vendetta: Lascannons x 3 

1750 = Total Points
As you can see I have created not one but three large blobs of warriors.  The two Thunder Wolf Battle Leaders and their pack of hounds, forty Grey Hunters and thirty seven renegades.  Throw in a long wolf and a vendetta and I have a grand total of ninety seven dedicated followers of Khorne.  The concept is to simply overload my opponent with a plethora of targets; each durable in size and threat.  The biggest threat is the Wolf Guard Battle Leaders and their dogs of war.  These two beast are wrapped in a protective bubble of fur.  If that wasn't enough I threw in some storm shield for those vulnerable situations.  They are the tip of the spear; the main detraction that will be ramming itself down my opponent face.  Covering their movement while be the blob of renegades.  Sliding in to provide some extra level of annoyance is the Lone Wolf.  Last but not least I have a Vendetta to provide some anti flyer support and if needed to carry the Platoon Command Squad as means to grabbing an objective.  Overall I think I will have a blast playing with this army but thought some of you could help me polish it first.  Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. That frustrates me when a TO so drastically changes basic functions of the book like Allies. Is he so bent out of shape on them and biased towards imperials? It puts imperials at a huge advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is frustrating but I think I can get behind this Renegade Space Wolves list. Just looking for some input into it though. Anyone reading this care to share their thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to be a pain or anything, but what are you doing about fliers? And in addition, I know that thunderlords are awesome but other SM armies do the close combat thing better for cheaper, mephiston for ex. If you're taking wolves and you have that many guardsmen, might as well shave off some of those troops and add in some long fangs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'am flat out ignoring flyers as I feel that is a viable strategy. The reason for the bulk of troops is to overwhelm the table with scoring units. Grey Hunters are one of thee best if not the best troop choice in the game. They are versatile and forgiving in terms of close combat thanks to counter charge. Throw in the fact that a grey hunter can take a specialized close combat weapon but cannot be called out for a challenge is a huge bonus. This allows you to use Power Axes and Powerfist with not having to be afraid of striking last like an IC does. Overall though this list is a development towards my upcoming tournament. An experiment to see what units are effective and with what gear. The final list that I settle on is in my next Mantic Monday Post (#3).

    ReplyDelete