Tuesday, April 24, 2012

0 Tats on Tuesday #1: The Concept

"And this tattooing had been the work of a departed prophet and seer of his island, who, by those hieroglyphic marks, had written out on his body a complete theory of the heavens and the earth, and a mystical treatise on the art of attaining truth; so that Queequeg in his own proper person was a riddle to unfold; a wondrous work in one volume; but whose mysteries not even himself could read, though his own live heart beat against them; and these mysteries were therefore destined in the end to moulder away with the living parchment whereon they were inscribed, and so be unsolved to the last." - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
By Ashley Wood
I myself have been mouldering away, for several years now, about using my living parchment as canvas.  Not one for hieroglyphics, whales or ships, I chose a subject matter that speaks volumes about the road I have travelled.  That road would be captured by the image above.  An oil painting by Ashley Wood called "Bertie".  It merges my fascination for art and robots with my love/hate relationship with war.  The icing on the cake or rather the icing deep inside of it, is an underlying symbol for the relationship that I had with my my Grandfather.  An infanteer during the Second World War he set the stage for who I would become.  Upon receiving my diploma in Robotics and Automation I shifted gears and followed my Grandfather's boot prints into the dark depths of evil...

No comments:

Post a Comment