Tuesday, September 13, 2011

7 Model Mondays #9: Side Project Marbles

Not so much related to 40k but this side project did provided me with some painting motivation and lessons that could be applied to the hobby of 40k.  This is a MUNNY made by KIDROBOT and I saw it at the mall the one day and thought hmmm that would would be fun as hell to paint up.  I have been having a hard time painting large flat surface and needed a way to work on my painting technique.  These Vinyl Toys offer the perfect opportunity for that and on top it are an excellent way to practice your free hand. Here is the finished product that I came up with.


I'm very happy with the outcome seeing as it was my first time working with vinyl. I made some minor conversions such as drill out its right eyes and inserting a marble for its' eye, thus its name.  Painting vinyl (I used GW paints) was a nice change as it's extremely smooth and will show each and every brush stoke if your paint is not thinned out enough.  Overall I feel more confident in my ability to paint large flat surfaces.   Not only this but it also re-invigorated me at the time to paint some of my other models that have been laying around.  I have already bought a several other products by KIDROBOT and will be using them for practicing various techniques.  


7 comments:

  1. I can see where you got the inspiration for that piece from. Excellent work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I stick with my Orks army, my first army, I may end up building and painting two of Munnys to represent GORK and MORK statues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazed, blood covered midget with an axe, a glass eye and only wearing underpants?

    You'd better believe I'd run...

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHA!!! Glad you enjoyed it MAX. I really feel that this side project developed my painting and taught me a thing or two about brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome dude, I love Munny's! Great custom work there HOTpants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the addition of the marble. These Munny dolls are things that I always like to check out because people get so creative with them, but I've never felt inspired enough to buy. I actually have an ebay search entitled "Munny Dolls - Don't Buy!" to remind myself that I'm just here to look...

    Thanks for sharing your creation. I can honestly say that it's one of the better ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am blown away by some of the Munny's that I have seen. The skill level some of these painters have is unreal. I have since bought a couple of Dunny's that I have primed and painted as well but that is for another day to share. Thanks for all the kind words and for checking out my blog as it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete